August 29, 2008

What's Cooking? Cupcakes!



A couple of weeks ago I was asked to make 24 cupcakes for our Enrichment Night this month. Of course when I think cupcakes...I think CUPCAKES! Immediately my "super-sized" version came to mind! These can take some time to dress up, but the result can be fabulous! I got this idea from my mom who made similar ones for Sky's Birthday last year. They looked so pretty and tall. I first tried out the Lemon Cream version on a baby shower for a friend earlier this year and they turned out really pretty and seemed to taste delicious too! I thought this time I would do half (12) Lemon Cream and the other half Chocolate Mousse. I thought the ribbon and the Hershey's Kiss added a nice touch. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the lemon ones all finished. They looked similar, but of course yellow ribbon and a lemon drop on the top! I also tweaked the whipped filling inside and my frosting a bit, it seemed to work out nicely! As you can see they are a lot of cupcake, but they look beautiful on a table! I was only able to frost the chocolate ones before I left, because frosted over-sized cupcakes are really hard to transport!!!

After Phil's office "taste-tested" the desserts from yesterday, the consensus was that their favorite were the Chocolate Chip Crispy treats! So I decided to make 2 plates to auction off. The activity was more like a white elephant service exchange than an auction, but everyone seemed to make out with some type of "service"! I can't speak for everyone, but I think I ended up with one of the good ones! "Dinner for your family and a fabulous dessert" It was definitely a unique spin on the "Service Auction" idea. (Remember our first Service Auction in the CROWSLANDING WARD, Alisa?!!)


Anyway, here are the pics of the finished products before we left. Today, I decided I'm just going to relax and enjoy my Friday. For those of you who still think "I have too much time on my hands" I would like you to know that I did all my housework last night after everyone fell asleep!SO right now I've made my favorite sandwich in the whole entire world, (fresh sub roll, mustard, boarhead swiss and cheddar cheeses, topped with doritos) turned on the Disney Channel for Madison, put Seattle to sleep, and am now going to check out a few cooking blogs. I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend! Peace Out!)

5 comments:

hillari said...

beautiful cupcakes! I'm interested in your filling and frosting recipe too!

Shauna said...

Oh my gosh! Those cupcakes look delicious! Interesting sandwich though ...

Unknown said...

Hahaha! The good old days! Yes I do remember:) Oh, I'm laughing really hard. After I read Shauna's comment, "interesting sandwich" I scrolled back up to take a closer look at that sandwich. That is SUCH a Summer sandwich. You crack me up girl!
I miss you guys!

Love ya, Alisa

Sara said...

I want one of those cupcakes!! Do you think it would arrive okay if you FedEx'd one to me??

The Dominguez Family said...

Those cupcakes looks to pretty to eat!