September 10, 2008

What the..."hail" is going on here?

Who says you can't live in Arizona and walk out to "snow" on your front porch? Okay, maybe it's a little harder than snow...but it gives the same appearance!Yesterday I was in the middle of making dinner when Brooklyn says...Mom look outside! I look out the backyard to see just blowing "white" stuff. Upon closer inspection, I could see it was flipping hail! (Nothing like ice chunks being hurled into a 85 degree pool! I'll have to check later to see if it brought down the temperature!) We immediately brought in Chloe (our little dog) and then I remembered my car! I always park it in the garage, but today after picking up the kids from school it rained just a bit, and got it all spotty. So I saw some more dark clouds and thought...maybe we'll get a downpour and we can get a free car wash! Talk about a wash! I tried three times before I could get out there with out being knocked out!
All my top soil for my new plants...was washed out to the "river de Cordes"!
This is one of the hail pieces I got pelted with on my "test" run to get the car! I had a flipping welt from it! Phil says he could have gotten out there fine, (of course he wasn't there and missed out completely) but I would have liked to see his reaction when things this size were being thrown at his head from the sky!
My dad told me that I should put the hail next to money so you can tell the size. Some were bigger and broke, others were the size of bb's. I won't be able to tell until I go out in the sunlight today, to see if there's any damage to my poor car! On first inspection... in the poorly lit garage, my "Tina" (car) looks okay.

I finally got my car in the garage, as it was slowing down. That newspaper in the middle of the road was literally floating down the road a minute before!


As the rain subsided to a sprinkle, we surveyed some of our street damage.


The pretty rainbow in a gray sky!

I don't think I've ever seen the park that full after a storm! Now that it's over...we can look back at all the damage that little storm packed and smile:)

3 comments:

Phil and Stacie said...

Awesome pictures of the storm! I didn't get any because everytime I opened the door to take one, the hail started coming in! Of course, my kids loved that =)

Leigh said...

You guys have all the fun over there. We hardly EVER get rain over here! Aaaaaah, makes me miss the Utah snow (just a bit).

Brandi Jo said...

I must have missed that!! I just made my blog private. Send me an email and I'll send you an invite! Bambiejojo@cox.net