September 12, 2009

Carmel Apple Pudding Pie!



Okay, so I was in the mood to bake...and Phil was in the mood for some Apple Pie. Not exactly what I had in mind to bake. (The last time I baked a pie...I won the Irvington ward's "Pie Baking Contest" like 7 years ago and thought I better go out undefeated!) Ha Ha! I'm just not a huge "pie" fan...I guess I just prefer more sweet than fruit? Anyway, I figured if I was going to try out this apple pie thing...I was going to create AN AWESOME apple pie! I looked at a few different recipes to get an idea of the basic ingredients that were supposed to go into the "average" apple pie...and then changed it up, so it could have a shot being AMAZING!

Warning...if you weren't in the mood for dessert...you might be, after reading this!

First I made the pie dough, so it could "chill"...literally while I finished the "filling"!

Pie Crust

1 1/4 C Flour
1/3 C Butter
1/4 Tsp Salt
4-6 TBS Cold Water
Dough should be moist...but not wet!
Place this in a Ziploc bag and put it into the fridge.

Now for the yummy stuff...

Carmel Apple Pudding Pie

8 Apples (different varieties. I used Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Gala, and Red Delicious)
1/2 C White Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
2Tbs Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Almond Extract
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Flour
1/4 C Pecans (chopped)
1/2 Pkg of Vanilla Pudding mix. (the small box)
1 Jar Carmel Ice Cream Topping (maybe about 1/8-1/4 of the jar?)

First I peeled, cored, and diced the apples, then I tossed in the lemon juice. Next, I poured in the sugars (1 at a time) and cinnamon. After all the apples were coated with cinnamon and sugar, I added the Almond Extract, Vanilla, Pudding, Pecans, and Flour.


Then I took out the dough that's been chilling in the fridge and rolled it out to be a little bigger than my pie dish.
A sweet little trick I learned!

You roll the dough back on to the rolling pin, so you can...

Do this!! Okay, maybe I'm the ONLY one who didn't know about this little technique! I used to move it by hand! HA HA!!


Anyway, then I put the yummy apple mixture onto the pie shell.The BEST part about this pie is the Carmel Topping! I drizzled it on until it coated all the apples...

Like THIS!!!

I'm not a huge fan of the regular crust...so I concocted a crumb crust that basically consisted of brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, flour, and oats. Sprinkled it on...then baked it at 350 for about an hour...

It may not be very pretty to look at...


But when you pair it with ice cream...You have a dessert you can't pass up! I know... me and all the pictures...but I wanted to give a visual of my little concoction...and there's nothing to get you in the mood for dessert more than a "play by play" recipe! Yeah...You're Welcome!)

5 comments:

Julie said...

Summer, these recipes you've added to your blog look soooooo good! Can I put them on my recipe blog? Check it out.....http://recipeshare-julie.blogspot.com/ I need something fun like your hamburger cakes to jazz things up.

Amy O'Neill said...

Yummy!! I might have to try this!

Maylene said...

That looks like and AMAZING pie! I love apple pie, especially now when my brain tells me that it is supposed to be cold out :) Maybe I'll have to break out the pie dish soon!

Leigh said...

Oh, sister.... that looks SO good!

Kirsten said...

That looks good. I'm going to try adding some butterscotch pudding mix to my next apple pie.