October 23, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu...Mini Pies


So on my way out the door to pick up the kids yesterday, I saw a 30 second commercial for Rachel Ray, advertising a unique variation of a meat pie she would be making later on her show. I thought it sounded kind of good, but totally forgot to tune in for the recipe! Ha Ha! That's totally my life for you!

Anyway, I found myself thinking that there really are a bunch of things you can stuff within a pie crust and have it taste good! So after thinking of several different combinations...all I'm sure could be yummy with the right twist, I settled on Chicken Cordon Bleu...or a version of it anyway!

This recipe makes more than enough for 8! You could also cut the "pies" to be smaller if you wanted!

Ingredients:

4 Cups Rice-(I used Minute Rice and I cooked it using chicken broth instead of water)
Broccoli (washed and chopped)
Chicken Breasts-(I boiled 4 chicken breasts boneless/skinless, then shredded them)
Swiss Cheese (I shredded an 8 oz block)
"Sauce"
1 cube butter
3 cubes chicken bouillon
(Melt these together over medium heat. Then add about 1/4 cup flour, or just enough to make the mixture thick. Slowly add either cream or whole milk...I use half of each. I think I probably used anywhere from 4-6 cups total. (You may have to add more or less depending on how much flour you added earlier.) Make sure you are stirring constantly and allow it to simmer for a minute or two to thicken up. It should NOT be "runny", a thick liquid without any chunks! Feel free to add salt and pepper or other seasonings as you see fit:)

Pie Crust- You Can make your own...or just go to the store and pick up a few of these.

Each box contains 2 pie crusts, (which will make 4 good sized "pies".) Roll them out, 1 at a time to make basically a thinner bigger circle than provided. Once it's been rolled out, cut it in half. (I used a pizza wheel)

Now that you have all your ingredients ready and waiting to be layered...place the two halves on a covered baking sheet.

I made the "executive" decision to place the rice on the bottom, followed by broccoli next.

Then I added the chicken...

Followed by the sauce...

Then topped with cheese!I'm such a visual person...so sorry for the "play by play"...so to speak!

Now just fold it over and seal it with a fork. Make sure there isn't any food near the edges or it won't seal properly.

Then give them a little brush with egg mixture (2 egg whites and a tablespoon of water) You don't need a fancy brush either...use your fingers if you need to!

Make sure to cut a few small slits in their tops, to allow them to vent:)

Place them in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until they're brown and bubbly looking!

They lift off easily with a spatula and literally take up an entire plate! Serve and enjoy!


I think I'll be trying different variations of these things over the next couple weeks! Let me know if anyone tries another combination! I would love some ideas!

4 comments:

The Crazy Wyatt Fam said...

These look so yummy! I will have to try them!

Shauna said...

Awesome! Looks so good!

Amy O'Neill said...

Ok I am coming to your house for dinner every night!! You are always making the yummiest food!! :)

Teresa said...

Yummy- like I said you have a best food ideas on your site! Fabulous =)