November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving!



This year Thanksgiving brought a lot of "firsts" with it! It was the 1st time that we only had our family eating with us, it was the 1st time we didn't serve a turkey, and it was the 1st time Berlin joined us at the table (in her high chair of course:)
We have always had family over for Thanksgiving every year, but this year my parents were going to help bring Sky and Blake some "Thanksgiving love" in Utah, since they couldn't break away. I remember those days away from family...it stunk!

Since Phil isn't a fan of turkey, and I obviously don't eat any of it, we decided to ditch the Turkey and stuffing for Prime Rib this year. I wanted it to be just as nice as if we were having company over...well almost as nice. I skimped on a few things like glass serving dishes...but I'll save those for when they are a little older and can appreciate it!
Ever since I could remember, my Aunt Joanie, always made sure EVERYONE had their very own bottle of Martinelli's. That was awesome as a kid! We could drink right out of the bottle at the kids table! Since, in actuality, Phil and I were joining the kids at "their" table, We made them drink from their glasses...atleast until dinner was over!
I also made the classic, cloverleaf rolls that my mom ALWAYS made for Thanksgiving dinner!
For dessert, we ALWAYS have pies from Village Inn, but this year, I asked the kids what kind of pies I should make and they said, "Apple and Chocolate". So I made an apple pie...and my own version of "French Silk"! I didn't know how it would compare to the original, but it so easy to make...and it turned out SUPER yummy! It's not quite as "rich" as the original, which makes it even better in my book:)




For Family Home Evening this week, we made a "Thank You" box, (the kids had full decorative control)and then we each wrote 7 notes. (1 for every person in the family, telling them why you are thankful for them) We thought it would be fun to read them on Thanksgiving...and it was! Okay, a few of them weren't so nice...but what do you expect from siblings?! Phil and I were cracking up most of the time! After a couple of "rude" notes, Phil asked me if it was turning out like I thought it originally would. Ha! Okay, a little more sarcastic than I thought it would be, but still sooo good to add their little personalities into it!

I think my favorite note of all was from Paris.

We had so much fun! I won't say we preferred it to having family over, because of course we LOVE to have family around, but I will say, it still felt like Thanksgiving, which is HUGE! I hope everyone had a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

0 comments: