June 17, 2009

In the Hospital...the Play by Play!


Well, things went about as smooth as they could that morning! Phil and I left for the hospital around 5:50am and arrived there around 6:15. We were all pre-registered so we went right up to labor and delivery and were given a sweet room, but of course...the nursing shifts change right at 7. So I had my sweet looking hospital gown...a nice bed...but no I.V. or anything to get things going:(


My mom was home with the kids and we called her to give her the update that there wasn't any need to drop off the kids...yet! In the past...I deliver about an hour after they break my water...which at this rate wasn't going to happen soon...or so we thought!


Around 8 my nurse (and her student shadow) started my I.V. and we gave my mom the update...still thinking it would be a while till we heard from the doctor, Phil jets down to the cafeteria for some food. About 2 minutes after he leaves my doctor rolls in ready to "get things started"! At this point, I've only been on the "Pit" for like 30 minutes, haven't gotten an epidural, and had no Phil or my mom in the room! I started to freak out and told him to "jam"...literally! He didn't...and laughed it off! So I ordered my sweet nurse to get the anesthesiologist over to my room STAT:) (my previous experiences are water breaking=serious pain, because my babies NEVER drop) The doctor says that he estimates the baby weighs about 8lbs and was saying that he had his "running" shoes on because I was 4-5 centimeters dialated...and he knew I would go fast. I told him to forget the running shoes and to invest in some "heely's!"


A couple of minutes later Phil strolls in to see me in total panic mode and says he saw the Dr. pass him on his way to the cafeteria...but didn't think he would be coming to see me yet! Boys!


Anyway, the anesthesiologist does come in quickly...does his thing...it works perfectly! Thank goodness! We make sure mom is on her way...and then I do something I never do before delivery...stay laying back so baby won't come! Once my mom arrived...and since I was still so comfortable, I stayed laying down and resting for awhile. I was an 8 right after my water was broken...so I could only imagine how quick this next part would be!


After an hour of my mom and Phil pleading with me to just sit up and deliver already, I finally caved in to the pressure!


My nurses came in, I was so calm and let them know that it was time...soon 2 girls that I thought reminded me of "Young Women" who were also part of the ASU nursing program asked if they could come in and watch the delivery too! At this point...the more the merrier! We just wanted this party to end already:)


The doctor was taking a bit longer than I expected...apparently he didn't have his running shoes on! So I decided I would have the baby with out him...unbeknownst to everyone...but she was too big! I've never had a baby that I couldn't just have...well except for Brooklyn (11lbs 4oz)! So when the baby didn't come out...I got scared! The doctor finally arrived and after a minute or TWO to get his bearings...he began asking me to push. Ha! He then saw the seriousness when I told them all...I had already given it everything I had! Yikes...that's when we found that her shoulders were totally stuck:( Luckily, all ended well! She arrived!!!! AND I am glad that we have completed our BEAUTIFUL family...because that's a delivery that would haunt me forever!)


Berlin Daley Wyatt arrived at 11:03am weighing in at 10lbs 2oz, with a 15 3/8" head sized! NOT the 8lb baby he predicted...OOPS! She's beautiful and very healthy! Luckily she showed no signs of distress or having any complications that come with being stuck...except for a few bruises.


THE NEXT POST WILL HAVE THE FUN PICTURES...I HAD TO JOURNAL THIS ONE:)

2 comments:

Shavonne Updike said...

She seriously is a bowling ball in feminine form. I cannot WAIT to meet her! Great job Hum!

The Dominguez Family said...

Congratulations! I'm glad overall everything went well...