October 24, 2008

Behind the scenes...



I've been taking photos of all the steps along the way...I'm cheesy like that! I get so blasted excited for this party every year! I love any excuse to decorate and clean my house! If you want to make sure your house stays clean...host a party every other month or so! (I'm not even close to being that ambitious...but it would be fun!) I promised my sisters, that I would blog it all...once the party had finished. So here are some of my very fun, pre-party preparations...
I first sent out the "save the dates"...to ensure full "RSVP action!"


Then came the invitations...which I always have so much fun trying to create! I went to Hobby Lobby this year and tried to find the most 80's looking paper possible! The glitter page won! This was the character description page...where everyone got to see who was playing which character. Some of the descriptions were pretty funny!

Then came the actual invitations...we dropped these babies off about a month in advance to try and get them excited for the 80's! I tried to make them look seriously top secret...and this was the best I could do. I even melted red wax on the back...next year I'll look for a better sealing mold!



Now with the date set, R.S.V.P's confirmed, next came the party favors...Thanks to Elena (who texted me that Martha Stewart was doing a Halloween Special) I recorded the show...and saw these awesome coffins! If I wouldn't have seen how easy it was for her to make these...and how much candy they fit...I wouldn't have even thought twice! These things are pretty awesome! I just printed the pattern off her website, glued and folded some cardstock, filled it with some candy, and tied them shut with some twine! The finished product was pretty "sweet!"






The frames were a bit different then years in the past. I couldn't think of anything "80's"...I seriously lack vision...so I found this "totally" orange feather boa that I thought might frame their faces nicely! They turned out more like 70's shag...but who's comparing?

My sister Shavonne was also doing a Murder Mystery 80's party in Utah on the same night...so it was fun bouncing ideas off of eachother all month. I don't think we did anything the same...and I really want to see some pictures of her party now! My mom wanted to see all the "pre-party" things we were doing...but we didn't want to blog it all and give it away! I know, I know, cheesy but I wanted it all to be a surprise!

I get a little party fever around this time of year...so Phil, Sandy, Shavonne, Sarah, and my mom have had to hear tons about it...sorry...but you all were so great in helping me out with all the details!! Thanks for all your help! My mom flew in on Tuesday...which was such a HUGE help! She was great! She helped me come up with a few impromptu table decorations...



She told me that next year...she'll plan a little in advance! I think she did great on a few hours notice!

I decided I would take a few pictures of the place pre-party...so you could get a general idea.






Our "italian soda bar"!My attempt at an 80's background for the couple pictures.

This is where the murder victim was placed...post murder! I had a cool sign that said "Autopsy" but forgot to put it up...classic!

Okay...so that sums up the pre-party details! Now for the real fun! Stay tuned for the sweet party pics!

4 comments:

hillari said...

that looks like so much fun! I love murder mystery's! In fact, I would be interested in buying your mystery box from you after you're done with it, unless you had someone else you were passing it along to.

deborah said...

like it was the best party ever, like totally rad. food was awesome, decor was gnarly and the cast of characters were major righteous... like i am totally like so stoked i was like invited. phil and summer you are the bomb.

Unknown said...

I SOOOO want to be there partying with you:( I need to move closer don't I?

Totally creative and looks like a blast!

Sandy said...

That was such a good post! LOVED the party! You should win "Party planner of the year"! You guys are the best!!!