October 17, 2008

What happened to Halloween?

So it's been a really busy week. Emphasis on the busy! Not like it usually isn't...but wow, not even time to blog! Lately I've been feeling bad for my kids. I feel sad that Halloween is no where close to what it was years ago when we used to go Trick or Treating! My own friends have even stooped to admitting they're not going to give out candy this year and just take their kids somewhere else! (you know who you are;)Not only do our kids have to put up with "Fall Carnivals" after school hours in lieu of the "old school" Halloween Parades we used to have during school, they also have to deal with walking a whole street to only score about 4 houses that actually give out candy!

Another thing...what happened to good 'ol Halloween Etiquette? If you're not going to be home...or if you don't want to give out candy for whatever reason...TURN OFF YOUR PORCH LIGHT! Isn't that just common knowledge?? As a parent, you start teaching your kids that the houses with their lights off aren't giving out candy...then to throw them for a loop you find a whole bunch with their lights on!! Talk about confusing! Every time my kids go to a door...they talk about "if" their going to get candy this time. It's totally sad to see your little "creature, angel, character, or princess" disappointed that no one's coming to the door to give them candy!

Am I just crazy, or is it totally sad? I could go on for hours about all the subtle changes that have happened over the years, slowly turning Halloween into an "evil", dangerous, and unhealthy holiday, but I personally loved it as a kid, and hope that it sticks around long enough for my kids to all experience the holiday as it was meant to be...FUN!!! It's the one day you can be what ever you want to be and go knocking on strangers doors to get FREE candy!!*

*I do understand that there are real dangers to Halloween. I'm just as protective of my 5 kids as the next parent. We always walk with them and stand at the edge of the sidewalk to ensure the "candy exchange stage" goes smoothly for all parties involved, and as soon as we get home, we check all their candy...some times they even require a special "taste" test, (we usually put the "questionable" ones in a pile for mommy and daddy to "inspect;")! That's good... right?

I hope whatever your traditions are that they're Sweet and Memorable this year!!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

It is sad how a lot of things have changed- I'm sure it won't be long until we will be telling our children/grandchildren about what we use to do, and they will be amazed. Your Mom and I drove around a few towns to get some "fall porch" pictures- they were very hard to find- like about one or two in miles.

Kandice and Rob said...

Amen!!

bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com said...

agree! Halloween is my favorite holiday!! --bettijo