October 17, 2009

Retired Super Heroes!

Sorry for the "Re-Post" but I HAD to make a few changes...

So the theme we came up with this year for our Halloween "shin-dig", was Retired Super Heroes! We had lots of great suggestions...so we decided to put a few together:) Everyone who knows me...knows how excited I get, to start planning this thing! I usually start in August getting everything in the works. This year wasn't quite as time consuming as last year's Murder Mystery Dinner, but still just as fun to plan!

I made 2 different invitations this year, one for the couples that were close and one that could be mailed a little easier. In all actuality, Phil and I couldn't agree on which ones we liked better, so it worked out great to have 2!


This one we did like an old school telegram. It has "stop" after every sentence and has some classic little details from an original telegram. This is the one we mailed...

The message in both reads...We used to be such heroes, but now seem more like zeros. Nevertheless, come party in style, with your "yester-year" gear on, you'll hold back a smile. Dress with care & don't get smudged. You won't be on trial but you will be judged!Unfortunately, 4 couples couldn't make it this year...so this was the smallest turn out yet! We still had so much fun, but I think we'll be recruiting some new couples next year! Maybe we better start getting to know people better....I'm such a home body! We've been trying to add 1 new couple a year, but now that we've figured out the whole dinner challenge...we could pack this house! Ha Ha!

Phil found his costume by accident...his old graduation gown, a sweet "comb over wig", and some coke bottle glasses! After checking him out in his gear...I just knew he had to be an old Harry Potter! I know...totally stretching it as a "super hero"! Seattle would actually cry every time he put his new glasses on! Sad! So we had her try on some of it and she warmed up to the idea!


My costume was a bit harder to find...but eventually I settled with Super Girl! Yeah...I know...So ME!?! HA!!!

We decided that since my mom couldn't fly in, we would make it a whole lot easier on yours truly by just having it catered by Macayos! We ended up LOVING their food after Phil ordered platters for my 30th...It made it sooo much easier! I was able to focus on the desserts...instead of desserts AND cooking!

I must have put my camera away after we barely starting putting out the food...because these are the only pictures I got! You get the idea...LOTS of FOOD!I was actually able to "chill" most of Saturday...which was AMAZING! So what did I do with all my extra time? I made signs...silly, silly, signs! Don't critique my terrible artistic abilities!
We have 2 rules at our parties...1) You HAVE to dress up...2)You HAVE to come HUNGRY we in turn promise...To entice people to dress up and play along in the fun things we have planned...we give out prizes...how good really depends on the couples, I guess!

We ALL voted for the Best Costume, Runner Up, and the Worst...or "Nice Effort"to put it softly! For the costumes you got from the Biggest to Littlest light up pumpkins with a ribbon saying what place you won! Unfortunately, I totally FORGOT to take pictures!!! SO instead I'll just show you couples pictures... 1st Place Costume Prize went to ...

The O'Neill's!

Runner Up went to....

The White's!

Finally, Last and Certainly "Nice Effort" went to...

The Poulsens! (They know they still rocked it...but didn't quite make the "old"cut!)

For the "Oddly Wed" game that we played...The winning couple won a pair of movie tickets...(because they know each other enough to take a time out from talking to one another.) The Runner Up...got some baking supplies...so they can brush up on some facts while having fun together in the kitchen! Finally, the last place couple got the book "Arguing with Idiots" by Glen Beck...(we couldn't find any good "couple counseling" books! So we thought this title was good:) The Hirschi's won!


Cynthia's costume was HILARIOUS! She had a pillow out back and two sagging grape fruits in the front! This was a great picture of them both...but it's not the Mike we all know and love! So sorry Cynthia...but this one made it to the Blog too!
Thanks to EVERYONE that came! We had soo much fun! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I am so sad we missed it. Everyone looks so good! Next year we are going to make sure that there are no weekend baseball games in the month of October.

Unknown said...

Looks like a blast. Wish we were close!

Summer said...

We wish you BOTH could have been there!

Amy O'Neill said...

It was sooo fun! Still a little suprised that our cheesy costume won though??! Ha!

Andi said...

Your party look like fun! We really need to start doing things like that. You have great ideas.